We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Living in Community #1

Here are some things we are observing and learning so far.  It has been about 10 days, so we reocognize that we are still in the Honeymoon phase.

To start, the healthiest thing we have done is to talk very specifically about our paradigm as we move in together.  Here is a summary:
  • Both families have prayed about this possibility and met two times before move-in day.
  • Even though the Hovet's were moving in with a family that owned the home, we have agreed that both parties are equal in rights for this living arrangement
  • This home we are living in is being viewed as a mission house.  Both families and each individual has a mission from God in Hillsboro and this house simply is God's provision for that mission.  In other words, living in this house isn't the priority, but the mission is.  (I find this to be an important distinction for future experiments--in America we tend to identify the house as the end of mission rather than the means of mission)
  • We have identified strict private areas and common areas.  This gives safety and room for individual family units to exist and grow.
  • We don't require common meals every day.  Again, this allows for individual family's to exist and grow.
Observations:
  • I am more aware of my selfishness and pride.  For instance, I have long prided myself on rising early--but living in community has shown me that I am not as consistent as I once was--and I can't hide that fact from others
  • I am loving the opportunity for a broader daily conversation
  • This would be very hard if we weren't living with mature believers
  • We have had opportunity already to come to the cross as a family, in front of our house family.  It is humiliating (but as a friend always tells me--"Humiliation leads to humility"
More to come!

No comments:

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon