We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Monday, April 21, 2008

The mud is thinning

I was surprised by today.

I have been quiet lately - thinking and processing a lot, but not always certain of what it is that I am thinking and going through. I have been reading Team of Rivals, which is a book on the genius ability of Abraham Lincoln to draw together various opposing people and ideas in order to accomplish great good.

I am in awe of this man and his great capacity to lead through humility. I find that most people aren't able to lead in this way. Mostly people feel that the leaders have to have all of the right answers and that those who follow only follow because they are less able to lead and more able to do the bidding of the said leader. Lincoln, to me, turns that on his head.
The image “http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0684824906.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
He wasn't able to do everything, nor did he have all of the answers for everything, but was able to gain a great unity between opposing and difficult ideas and people. On might suggest that Lincoln was the great mediator of the Civil War. He kept the country from total destruction through his tremendous political skill not based upon power and favors, but upon real and lasting virtues of love, tenderness, compassion and honesty.

I was challenged by a mentor several months ago to gain a broader perspective and compassion for various leaders and leadership styles. I have been very critical in the past of weak leaders and poor communicators.

This reading is a timely infusion of wisdom and know-how. I see the need to be a great unifier. I recognize that I am especially excited about the possibility of drawing strong and gifted leaders onto a team in order to accomplish something great.

I am surprised today because yesterday I was so tired and seemingly unable to process the swirling mush inside my head. I am glad to write that today, through several conversations, I am able to see more clearly where in leadership I am and where I am still being challenged to grow.

May I be a glowing light for Jesus. May I carry his humility and compassion with me...


No comments:

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon