We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Monday, July 21, 2008

Leadership Lids - Saul and David

Every leader's success will be determined by their leadership ability, not by their personal gifting or charisma. There are things in every leaders life that inhibit their overall success. It is my goal to identify the lids in my life so that I can become the best leader I can be.

Saul had his lids. Mostly they were character flaws:
  • Fear
  • Jealousy
  • Impulsiveness
  • Anger
These things caused him to be unable to cope with the strains of leadership. Eventually he crumbled and those he was leading suffered. If Saul had been able to overcome his insecurity and humble himself, he might have been a great leader.

David also had lids. He was the youngest and was overlooked by his own father. When Samuel went to choose one of Jesse's sons to be king, David wasn't even invited to be considered. David was able to overcome that obstacle through hard work and dedication to the Lord first.

What are my lids?
  • Fear - sometimes I assume failure will happen rather than success. Also, I hesitate in getting to know new people - I am afraid my efforts won't be successful.
  • Inconsistency - I can be emotionally driven and therefore am often times up and down in my leadership. I know the Lord is teaching me to be more stable and faith filled.
Jesus, I lift to you my lids - I don't want to be held back any longer, but I want to overcome these obstacles so I can be the best leader I can be.

No comments:

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon