We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Humble Power

His Spirit made the heavens beautiful,
      and his power pierced the gliding serpent.
 These are just the beginning of all that he does,
      merely a whisper of his power.
      Who, then, can comprehend the thunder of his power?
Job 26:13-14

And they struck him on the head with a reed stick, spit on him, and dropped to their knees in mock worship. When they were finally tired of mocking him, they took off the purple robe and put his own clothes on him again. Then they led him away to be crucified.
Mark 15:19-20
In our reading this morning these two passages were assigned.  The stark contrast between the two amazes me anew.  The God of the universe - the creator of all things - the one who holds all power in his hands - the one who gives life and sustains life and who takes life away is also the one who subjected himself to extreme persecution, torment and then death.

Job declares the omnipotence of God.  And Mark records the humility of God.

Jesus, today I see that you are power under control.  You are subjected to the will of the Father and it was (is) his will that man be drawn back to him.  It is only through your sacrifice that I am graced even to start to understand your love for me.

You live inside of me, which means that the God of the universe is inside of me, not so that I can move in a way or pray in a way the blesses me, but so that I have the ability to act according to the Father - so that they may know your truth and life.  Jesus thank you for always being my friend - but I will not take for granted that you wish for me to remain in submission to everything that you are and say.

What are my standing orders today my Lord?  Speak to me.  Help to do the little things right.  I pray that I would be a man of character today.  I pray that I would adequately present you to those who are around me.  I know that you will give me the insight to know how to do that and when.

I bless your name today...I give you honor and glory...I have you my life...

No comments:

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon