We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In my weakness

Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.  That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

These words are towards the end of raw segment of Paul's second letter to the Corinthians.  As he has served and given, he has had it all thrown back in his face.  Apparently negative words about Paul had been passed on to Paul.  He then "vented" his frustration to them.

I find strength in these words.  While I haven't endured the same sort of persecution as Paul, nor the criticism, I do find pastoring to be full of betrayal.  People are fickle.  People just don't know the struggle at times.  People let us down.  (as I write this, however, I am reminded of many who consistently bless me)

Paul is admitting that he has weaknesses, but in his weakness, Jesus is made strong and mighty.  I pray that would be the same with me.

Jesus - you know my weaknesses.  You know how often I fail you.  You know when I stumble and drop the ball.   I pray that in spite of me, you would be made strong.  I pray that as I follow you today - that you would watch over me.  I lift up my family today and ask that each of us would follow hard after you.  I pray that we would walk in your grace.  I pray that we would each be reminded of your amazing love today.

Please give me your grace today.  Please settle me and enable me to live as you would like.

No comments:

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon