We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Trusting the Bosses of Life

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
Romans 13:1

Today in my reading Ihave come upon this appropiate passage.  It is one that is familiar, but how much I "know" it doesn't mean that I live it out.  Nor does it mean that I understand the far-reaching implications of its truth.  The bottom line is that God is in control.  

I have often wondered how Paul would have written like if he were a part of a democracy.  Winston Churchill is quoted as saying:
Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the rest.

We live in an interesting place - we have the freedom, right and, some would say, the obligation to cast our opinion in on the matter of governmental offices.  So, although God uses whatever means nessecary, in the end he uses our perceptions and thoughts to provide the outcome he sees as correct.

Regardless of our opinion, however, it is His will that is done.  And once his will is done, than we have nothing to do except to submit to his wisdom and plan, which is far superior to any advice I have to offer.

Jesus, today I need to listen to these words and take them to heart.  you have placed me in situations of submission for your own purposes.  I ask that I would exhibit trust in you as I wade through the place of life you have me in.

No comments:

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon