We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

When a leader improves

I am a lid on the potential of the people who serve with me. As their leader I can hold them back or I can choose to expand and grow so that those around me expand and grow.

I think it is tempting to want to blame the followers or those in less significant positions for the lack of movement forward in any given organization.

David is a guy who lifted the lid of leadership. When all (including Saul) were afraid to jump into the fight and take on the behemoth Goliath, David went for it and released the potential of Israel's armies:
Then the men of Israel and Judah gave a great shout of triumph and rushed after the Philistines, chasing them as far as Gath and the gates of Ekron. The bodies of the dead and wounded Philistines were strewn all along the road...
I have to ask myself - where do I hold the armies back? in what way are my own limits, fears or inadequacies holding us back from exploding in fruit?

What lids can I lift? How can I improve today as a leader?

Any suggestions? I am open...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Isaac,

I tried to post this yesterday, but I must have done something wrong.... Anyhow, one more time: A BIG THANK YOU for how you have been helping Joshua to expand and to grow!

Greetings,

Michiel, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Isaac said...

Michiel,

It has been a great privilege to spend these last 6 months with Joshua. We have been so blessed!

We will miss him dearly, but look forward to when we see each other again - perhaps this time in The Netherlands.

Thank you for taking the time to write.

Blessings!

Isaac

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon