We are exploring reformed theology and living in community. Here are some thoughts and observations along the way.

Friday, March 14, 2008

Investing in others

...there has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the
God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a
flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears...
Philippians
I had the privilege of spending time with one of my mentors today. Dave Metsker invested heavily into my life while I was a college student at LIFE Pacific college. He was also my senior pastor.

I have never met someone who is so devoted to developing others. I ran miles and miles with him because he wanted to spend time with me. On a Sunday afternoon - 3 hours after he finished preaching - he would ask for my opinion of the message. I know that he valued my opinion, but I think the most important thing for him was that I saw a leader who is willing to be humble and to be evaluated.

In those days I thought I knew more than I did and valued my thoughts of things far more than I should have. I have no doubt that Dave saw these things...but he saw potential and helped me to achieve it.

As I read this morning in Philippians I was reminded of my primary task - developing people. Christ started a great work in people - and then gave gifts to the church (Ephesians 4) - these gifts of people - evangelists, teachers, pastors and apostles have one task - to equip the saints for works of service.

I have been equipped on my journey by a pastor-teacher.

This week I am going to be taking a look at how I develop others around me. I am going to ask myself - do I leave people better Christians than when they first meet me?

As a pastor, these are hard questions to ask.

Today, Jesus, please help me to be a person that invests.

No comments:

About Me

Hillsboro, Oregon, United States
Just a guy in Oregon